Friday, January 23, 2009

March for Life...a new meaning this year...

Yesterday, thousands of people filled the streets of Washington D.C. However, they were not there to have a second celebration of the inauguration of our new President. On the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, these calm marchers were there for life of all ages.

In our own church body, hundreds came from Lutherans for Life and also LCMS Life Ministries. It is quite inspiring for me to see all those individuals stand up for the defenseless. Especially when most of America tends to be lukewarm on the issue.

On this issue, I have taken a complete 180. In college and also throughout Seminary, I was definately pro-life. However, I probably would have had the addage, "If you don't like, don't have one." I was wrong. This all changed through some good mentors in the faith and also when I had a situation in my life where I heard of an abortion that was about to happen of someone I knew from an outside source but I could not do anything about it. I was not supposed to know and my hands were tied. As far as I know, the abortion happened. This quickly brought abortion from something all those outside our church do, to someone who was active in the church was doing it.

God is a God of life (John 10:10). May we be active in our support and our action for mothers, the elderly, and the disabled. It is not just an issue that happens to those on the outside, but people in our churches have these issues come to the forefront. Next year, I hope to be in DC for this great event!

No comments: