Monday, November 9, 2009

Two options, life or death

While I attended my grandmother's funeral and hearing the baptismal promise proclaimed by the priest, the words of Paul from Philippians clanged in my head like cymbals: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account"

In the human flesh, we have two options: Life or Death. In the world, life is the best option. To live is to make money, have children, buy homes, travel, etc. But death means I can not do any of those "very important luxuries."

As ones in the baptismal life, both options are nothing to fear. In life we have Jesus, living in us, forgiving us, and loving us. In death, our spirit is at rest with Jesus. Not a bad deal either. While we live, our bodies are to be living sacrifices that Christ may be known and in death may Christ be glorified.

May we live life not fearing death, but serving in our vocations for the proclamation of Christ. And I cling to the hope of my grandmother resting with her Lord and the future life where death is no longer an option!

No comments: