Thursday, November 5, 2009

Busy week...put Baptismal life in a stroller?

It has been a very busy week. Pastor's conference in Appleton, WI. Participated as the celebrant in the worship service, organized the compline service, proved once again that I do not know it all, repented, was forgiven, discussed theology over a few beers, and traveled home on Wednesday. Refreshed and excited to be reunited with the family.

As I left the parking lot I received a phone call concerning my grandma Finnern who passed away from cancer in Wamego, KS. Donna married my grandfather 13 years ago after the both lost their spouses and she has been a God send to all of us. A devout Catholic, a loving mother, and grandmother battled cancer for the third time and within two weeks of feeling sick, she is resting with her Lord. She will be missed.

We are currently in Kansas and I have spent all week in hotels and no home cooking (not good for the beltline). In all reality, we are all very tired and weary.

Today, as we arrived in Wamego after 600 miles with the kids, I had one of those "baptismal pick-ups." My almost one year old son was crawling across the long hallway in the hotel when he grabbed his stroller, grasped onto the handles, and began to walk a long distance down the hall. First time I saw this in him. As he walked he fell down once the stroller hit the wall, but he got right back up again and continued to stumble down the hall the whole time with a smile on his face. What a joy to see.

I feel like my son right now. I know for a fact that I can't walk on my own. And when I began to walk, depening on unsteady objects, I fall. Especially when brought to my knees with the death of my grandmother. However, through that "death" by the Spirit and the resurrection through forgiveness. I am lifted up once again to stumble through life, hopefully with a smile on my face, not because it is always a joy, but because the ride is all in His hands.

Thank God for strollers, stumbling boys, and a Lord who picks us up. Pray for the witness of the priest tomorrow to be bold and points us to the cross.

No comments: