Friday, November 13, 2009

Favorite religious practice?

This morning while working out on the elliptical at the YMCA, I heard a gentleman standing next to me describing his most exciting weekend of his life. He went on to describe drinking 13 shots of tequila, a 6-pack of beer, and a martini all in one night. The bragging continued with his hangover in the morning and the adirmation of his fellow "manly men."

What religious beliefs kicked in? Was it my Luheran disposition to call for repentance and pronounce forgiveness? Was it to gently ask if that was real smart? Or even to repent of my own failings of "drinking too much" in my past? Nope, my favorite religious practice kicked in: Thinking like a Pharisee.

I thought to myself, "That's real mature!" and "Thank goodness I don't do those kinds of things, especially as he is almost 60 years old."

When I stand at the throne of God and he judges me, I will probably stand next to this guy and what will I say? Well, I might have gotten drunk in my past, but I gave it up and it was when I was young. Do I think that God will say, "Oh, thankyou Brady, how good of a Christian you are." Probably not. I need the same forgiveness as this guy, I need to repent just as much as him, and we all need the same Christ crucified for our forgiveness of our many sins.

"Chief of sinner though I be, Jesus shed His blood for me."

No comments: