Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My name is Earl and Atonement....

Last night, I was watching a small part of the hit show, "My name is Earl." The basic premise is that a guy named Earl has realized in his late 30's that he has made too many mistakes and wants atonement. He makes a long list of people he has wronged and try to make up for it through acts of kindness.

In last night's episode, Earl wanted to make amends with some kids that he had once promised to go to the fair, but ditched them for an AC/DC concert. When he tried to make amends with the kids, he realized that the fair was now closed, so we had no chance for atonement. Yet, the kids looked at him and said, "Don't worry about it, we forgive you." Then they grabbed the list and scratched their names off the list.

In the same way, our Lord tells us "Don't worry, I died on the cross. I forgive you" when he looks at our list of things needed to make amends for. He then crosses out everything off the list by the power of His blood.

Who thought that My name is Earl was Christlike?

No comments: