Monday, January 4, 2010

Preparing for the Baptism of Jesus


This Sunday is one of my favorites, Baptism of our Lord. There is no better time to re-clarify our identity as God's child. Typically I get a little Catholic with the congregation and place the baptismal font in the back of the church (actually the front). Then a sign describing how to make the sign of the cross as a reminder that you were claimed by Christ in baptism and now you enter with that identity to hear the words of Christ and receive salvation in the body and blood.

I thoroughly enjoy the OT reading for this Sunday also, Isaiah 43:1-"I have called you by name, YOU ARE MINE." With all the talk of what we are supposed to do in life, this is a Sunday where we emphasis whose you are through the Holy Spirit and Word.

I pray for wisdom this week as we prepare for this Sunday.

No comments: