Sunday, January 17, 2010

Baptismal life and mercy

"For the peace of the whole world, for the well-being of the curch of God, and the unity of all, let us pray to the Lord. Lord have mercy." These words we pray each week in the Kyrie pleading with the Lord to have mercy on the whole world, especially those in need. I admit that often I feel like skipping the Kyrie out of frustration with member's lack of excitement, lackluster faces, and my own apathy at times. The old Adam in me says, "Do we have to sing this again?"

However, I say this prayer get answered today by the Holy Spirit when our congregation of 160 people who attended today gave over $1,000 to LCMS World Relief/Human Care for the relief efforts in Haiti. As our District President, John Wille requested all congregations to take an offering for the efforts, I can only imagine that the church worldwide has been moved by the Spirit in the same way.

Now we move forward as God's baptized and ask, "What merciful thing does the Lord has in store next? In the meantime, we pray for those in Haiti and everyone in our churches who need the mercy of Christ.

No comments: