Saturday, December 13, 2008

A teaching moment from Home Alone-a lot of sit time this week

Since I have had a lot of time to sit, reflect, read, and watch TV this week due to my appendectomy, I actually sat down to watch a movie I loved as a 4th grader....Home Alone with Macaulay Culkin (MC). It is actually still entertaining at my age. When MC is left home alone mistakenly by his parents, two robbers attempt to steal everything from his house. This leads a battle plan that rivals the US Army in Iraq. And ends up with a 8 year old defeating two experienced thieves.

One of the interesting scenes taught my eye. It was when MC was desiring his parents to come back home so he goes out to talk to Santa downtown. On his way, he hears a lot of singing at the local church and sits down to one of his neighbors. MC makes a comment, "I'm just not sure of anything anymore." And the old man says, "Well, you are in the right place then. When you aren't sure of anything, this is where I come (referring to church)."

I think there is something to that. There are so many things we are unsure of in our world (future, career, raising kids, self-confidence, health, etc). And no matter how much we have in the bank or how high up we are in a business, we are still unsure about the next day.

My prayer is that this leads us to the Church (assuming it is doing it correctly). Because at the church, it provides answers to one sure thing, the cross. Through this cross we have the certainty of salvation and a place in God's family. What assurance we have to hear.

No comments: