Saturday, December 6, 2008

Man trampled to death on Black Friday-points us to another Black Friday!

The United Press International reports of a horrible example of the craziness of Black Friday!

NEW YORK, Nov. 28 (UPI) -- A male worker at a New York Wal-Mart was killed Friday when anxious shoppers trampled him in their rush for Black Friday bargains, witnesses say.

Witnesses to the early morning incident in Valley Stream, N.Y., said the unidentified worker had been attempting to hold back a wave of customers after the store opened, only to be knocked down and trampled underfoot, the New York Daily News said.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," Jimmy Overby, a co-worker of the man's, said. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Police said the incident was being investigated and the body would be analyzed to determine the official cause of death."

This story kind of puts things in perspective, especially since they were entering a WAL-MART and not an expensive store. We look to Black Friday to give us peace for Christmas. "IF only I can get all of my shopping done in one day, then I will be ready." However, most of the time the shopping doesn't get done, we don't get everyone the gift that we want them to have, and we get so stressed out this season. And for what? For a few moments of excitement on Christmas morning. In all reality, I can't really remember what I got last Christmas, but I do remember my kids listening to me read the Christmas story before Christmas Eve service!!!

This year's black friday, reminds me of another black friday, Good Friday. It is a theology of the cross to its core. In our world, the black friday in November should bring us peace, and a Good Friday where we "celebrate" a death, should bring us nothing but pain, but it is completely the opposite. Through Christ's death and resurrection on Black "Good" Friday, we have hope in a situation like this man being trampled to death if he was a believer in Christ, but without Good Friday, there is nothing put pain!

May God point our hearts this Christmas season, not only to the manger, but also to the cross!

1 comment:

Aaron Koch said...

What a sad story. It kind of shows how our nation puts more empasis on buying things than anything else. Even sadder is the fact that this is all done in the name of Christmas and our celebration of the Lord and Savior. I hate to hear that we live in a "Christian" country. This shows that people are more interested in black friday, than the true black friday. The christian life is summed up by the later.
Fortunetly, I am called by Christ to carry my cross and follow Him through my baptism. I am a poor miserable sinner. This story makes me think of the times I have done what is contrary to my life in Christ. However, becuase of the real black friday I am forgiven and given new life. I am equipped to be a new creation when that opportunity comes infront of me again.