Monday, September 1, 2008

A visit to the zoo looking through creationism eyes...

My wife and I went to the Milwaukee County Zoo (had to pay, unlike the great St. Louis zoo which is free). The girls loved all the animals, especially the monkeys, mainly because their father thinks monkeys are the funniest things on earth. And when you go throughout the zoo, it is amazing to see all the different species and how each one fits together with such harmony.

Then I went to a sign describing camels, and the words said, "The Evolution of Camels." It went on to describe how camels evolved into what they are today. It brought me back to Genesis 1, where God made all the creatures on earth and said the words, "It is good." When we see the animals as God's creatures, created in an image that is interwoven with the rest of nature, we realize that it could not have happened over a long period of time. As a baptized child of faith, what a joy it is to go to things like a zoo, farm, or to walk in nature. In those settings, we see how our Father in heaven, the creator of all things is still in control!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Pastor! I've wondered about this for awhile, but I always forget about it. Your post reminded me. In Genesis 1:24, it says, "24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so."
I've heard in the past that 'every word in the Bible was put there for a reason' and that you're supposed to dissect it, but I've also heard that you're supposed to read it for what it is, and not try and find hidden meanings. When I read over this a few months ago, I noticed that it says, 'Let the land produce living creatures...'
Does this have anything to do with the idea of intelligent design(I may have this completely wrong)- God designed it, and followed through with evolution? Or am I reading too much in to it?

Thanks!
Kari

Pastor Finnern said...

Kari

Thank you for your comment. I am trying to make the connection of Genesis 1:24 and Intelligent Design. What I see is that God created the living creatures from the land and it was so (king of like when Adam was created from the dust of the earth). According to our understanding, the earth was created in 6 days (24 hours) and the earth is 6-10,000 years old.
However, it appears that you have a emergent mind (like myself) and I can see how that could be used as a text for a Christian who desires to connection Evolution and Creationism.