Thursday, March 4, 2010

Christ for Mercy...Day 16

This year I and other fellow theologians have written devotions based on the Lenten series from LCMS World Relief, "The Spirit annointed Christ for mercy."

Now until Easter morning, I will post the devotions that focus first on the mercy of Christ and then our mercy to others. I look forward to this journey together. We begin with Day 16, "Christ for mercy: To heal the brokenhearted."

Luke 4:19-"He has appointed me to...proclaim the year of the Lord's favor"
by Ms. Lauren Jensen, Sheldon, IA
My husband's sister, Melissa, answered the phone, "Hello, Jensens." On the other end of the line was my mother, "Hi, honey, it's me, Mom."
"Mom?" It was then that they both realized that my mother had no idea to whom she was speaking. She had mistaken Melissa's voice for mine, a mistake that wouldn't have been as sad, or funny, had my mother-in-law not passed away the week before. We all had a much needed laugh, while my mom stood in horror at the words just exchanged. Open mouth. Insert foot.
We have all donee it. Thank God, He never has. Isaiah 61 says, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has appointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted" This is the beginning of the passage Christ read at hte start of His ministry in Luke 4. His listeners were in the synagogue. They knew exactly what passage Jesus was reading and, if there was any doubt about why He read it, He said to all of them, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing (Luke 4:21).
He knew who was listening. He knew who was self-righteous. He knew who was a worrier. A gossip. Who was hungry for the Lord.
And He knows you. He knows your vices and trials. He knows your needs. And He is here to bind up your broken heart. Listen to Him. His words of mercy are for you.

No comments: