Friday, July 11, 2008

What should a baptized child of God listen to for theological reflection?

I recently listened to the radio on my way to working out at the fitness center and I was listening to a Christian radio station in the area. I enjoy listening to "contemporary" music and like bands such as Third Day, Newsboys, and Steven Curtis Chapman. Obviously I don't enjoy some of the lyrics or the theology they "preach" at a concert, but I will listen on my daily drives to visits to members or to workout.

Yet, I have found the discussions of the announcers to be fluff at best. Most of the time they speak with a sensitive voice or are very preachy as if they were at a revival. There is very little if any theological discussion, Biblical thought, or proclamation of Christ. Which is why it was very refreshing for me during my Seminary career and now after to listen to a show called, "Issues Etc" with Rev. Todd Wilken. Pastor Wilken is a LCMS pastor and is one of the only radio shows that promotes apologetics and THE only Lutheran radio show that discusses deeper theological ideas. They have a new format that started on June 30th and are currently online. They discuss such things as how to analyze a good sermon from your church, debates on homosexuality, women in ministry, views on Holy Scripture, and views of the Sacraments. All of this they bring in people from the Lutheran faith and other faiths to bring effective discussion on these very important issues. Plus, they do so understanding that our identity is not based on what we do, but based on Christ, the cross, and our identity as baptized children of God.

Issues Etc is online every weekday from 3:00-5:00 p.m on www.issuesetc.org. You can also download previous shows on your computer or I-Pod. Check it out.

No comments: